Reading…all the gift guides sprouting up all over the internet. I used to pooh-pooh them, but from time to time, I discover some pretty interesting things on them – like the cognac sampler set I got my dad a year ago. Depending on the amount of work people put into them, they can be pretty good!
Watching…The Blacklist. All of it. I have trouble sitting through two TV shows in a row, but for the first time, I binge-watched the entire season and a half of a show. How did I not know about the awesomeness of this show before? So many situations in life require a little of Red Reddington’s negotiation strategy. I’m hooked.
Listening…to my Texas Blues Pandora station. I was inspired after listening to the Texas Blues scene in Chef, another must watch for the foodies among us.
Smelling…coffee, fresh baking bread, and whatever deliciousness my father has marinating right now for Sunday supper. Coming home is just so wonderfully comfortable, and my tastebuds are in heaven!
Wishing…that even if I really, really needed the week of relaxation we’ve had so far, I had a little more get-up-and-go to do stuff. There are so many great hikes, great restaurants, and other great things in my hometown, but I swear, there is something in the air here. All you want to do is nap and chill.
Loving…being home. And that it still feels like home, even though I’ve been on my own for almost 18 years.
Wanting…another nap. Seriously. It’s the air. That’s the only way I can explain it. Well, that and the amount of walking and running I’ve been doing since I’ve been home. My parents walk a lot, and quickly, thanks to their exuberant Aussie, and Scott and I have been joining them. I’ve been adding in a run here and there, when I’m not too lazy.
Feeling…relaxed. And amazed that we’ve been here a week! It has just flown by – and I need some more relaxation time. We’ll be home at the end of next week, and I’m not ready!
Pictures from This Week
From top left: 1) Finished – another 13.1! 2) A delicious bucket of crab, sausage, and corn at the Cracked Crab! 3) Ronnie the super dog, my parents’ Aussie. 4) The California life. 5) Happy hipsters in the coffee house. 6) California autumn. 7) With my dad and husband at Port San Luis Pier, at the fresh fish market. 8) Gorgeous and clear blue skies! 9) Two big kids at Disneyland!
- Holiday prep staring you in the face and stressing you out? Bon Appetit has a timeline for getting started time now and pacing yourself through the holiday!
- Hearkening back to thoughts on what food really represents the US as a nation, the New York Times did a roll-up of the Thanksgiving foods that best represent each state. Oh, and there are recipes to boot. I love the idea of Hawaii’s Mochi Rice Stuffing.
- As we’re heading into the stuffing-est of holidays, just remember the startling statistic that the US throws away 30% of its food. Cook reasonable portions and use your leftovers wisely – and donate extras!
- Is social media losing the “social” component of its interaction? Between brands blasting out impersonal spam, wanton click bait, and behavior that is downright harassing and bullying, social media is becoming negative ground – can we reclaim it for positive things?
- When you hear “hustle,” do you think about hard work and moving fast to outpace the competition, or do you think we’re losing the ability to differentiate between that and activity for activity’s sake? As always, Betsy has a great discussion going on what it means to hustle.
- If we think travel gets our systems all jumbled up, can you imagine what space travel does to your sense of place and time? An astronaut sums up what it actually feels like to live in space.
Posts This Week…
- Las Vegas: Papillon Grand Canyon Helitour – Who knew you could catch a helicopter from Las Vegas and fly through the Grand Canyon? That’s what we did, and the views were absolutely amazing!
- Las Vegas: Gordon Ramsay Steak – as big fans of all things Chef Ramsay, we had to check out his fabulous steakhouse, and it did not disappoint! Here’s a mini-tour.
- Las Vegas Adventures – recapping our adventures in Las Vegas. For those of you who might think there isn’t much to do besides drink and gamble, think again – this place is packed with amazing entertainment!